Last updated: January 28, 2021
This policy was last updated 2/11/2020
Maintaining your privacy is important to us. You entrust us with sensitive information, and we take that responsibility seriously.
Who are we?
Salus Technical Limited (“we”, “us”, “our”) works with customers to help them understand and manage the risks of major accidents within their operations and continually improve the safety of the industry.
We offer three complementary services: process safety engineering support, a range of tailored and on-demand training courses, and Bowtie Master – our online application which allows customers to visualise their risks and communicate them with their team.
What information do we collect and receive?
Your personal data
When we say “personal data”, we mean any information that relates to and identifies a living person. Personal data will be contained in the information that you provide to us or that is provided during your interactions with us or our service, or in the information that you authorise a third party to give to us on your behalf.
When it comes to your personal data, we comply in full with our obligations under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and other applicable data protection legislation. Salus Technical does not sell, rent, release, disclose, disseminate, make available, transfer, or otherwise communicate personal information to another business or a third party for monetary or other valuable consideration.
Information you provide – Your personal data includes the information you provide to us or that you authorise someone else to provide when you:
- sign up for a Bowtie Master account;
- sign up to receive our emails or communications;
- provide information in your Bowtie Master account profile;
- provide information during a support enquiry about you and/or your organisation;
- provide information when you complete any forms which you submit to us.
Examples of this personal data include name and email address, as well as any correspondence sent by you when you contact us. It could also information you enter into Bowtie Master (if it identifies a person).
Salus Technical has no requirement to collect or process any special categories of personal data, as defined under GDPR and the Data Protection Act 2018, in order to provide the service. In addition, we do not knowingly collect or solicit any personal data from anyone under the age of 16 or knowingly allow such persons to register for Salus Technical. Salus Technical is not directed at children under the age of 16. In the event that we learn that we have collected personal data from a child under age 16 without verification of parental consent, we will delete that information as quickly as possible.
What do we use your personal data for?
We collect and use your personal data for a variety of business reasons. However, we need some of the data to enter into and perform our contract with you, maintain the security of our systems and provide you with access to Bowtie Master. This data includes your contact details and other information requested during the Bowtie Master setup process. If you fail to provide this data, or refuse to do so, we may be unable to provide our service to you.
All the processing we carry out is underpinned by a set of processing conditions. These are the legal bases under which we have the authority to collect, use and store your personal information. The following is a summary of how these could apply to you within the Bowtie Master service.
We will process data where it is necessary to enter into a contract with you for the provision of the Bowtie Master application or to perform our obligations under that contract. Please note that if you do not agree to provide us with certain requested information it may be difficult for the service to operate as intended or at all. Examples include:
- receiving calls or emails to our support team;
- managing and maintaining our relationships with you and for ongoing customer service;
- communicating with you about the service and products you receive from us or via Bowtie Master; and
- handling any complaints, queries or requests which relate to Bowtie Master.
Please note – you will retain complete discretion to terminate your Bowtie Master account where we/you consider that it does not meet your needs or expectations.
When you elect to use Bowtie Master or any other service from Salus Technical, we are required by law to collect and process certain personal information about you. Please be aware that, should you refuse to provide us with certain mandatory information, it may not be possible for you to access the service. Examples include:
- confirming your identity and protecting against fraud as part of a model for secure access;
- sharing information with police, law enforcement, tax authorities or other government and fraud prevention agencies where we have a legal obligation to do so, including reporting suspicious activity and complying with production and court orders;
- delivering mandatory communications to users of the service, providing service messages, publishing revised disclosures or terms and conditions;
- investigating and resolving complaints where we may need to exercise or defend our legal rights;
- conducting investigations into suspected criminal acts, breaches of conduct and corporate policies;
- performing assessments and analysing customer information for the purposes of managing, improving and fixing data quality; and
- providing assurance that we have effective processes to identify, manage, monitor and report on the risks Bowtie Master might be exposed to (e.g. security, fraud and client confidentiality).
We will process your personal data within Bowtie Master where it is in our legitimate interests do so, and without prejudicing your interests or fundamental rights and freedoms. Examples include:
- delivering service insights and personalised recommendations to you which help to maximise your use of Bowtie Master;
- providing you with updates about Bowtie Master and its functionality, including new features and services;
- improving your experience of Bowtie Master by:
- gathering feedback from you on your use of and interactions within our service;
- assessing your use of our service; and
- recording and monitoring communications to our telephone and online helplines.
- taking action if we need to defend our legal rights under our Terms of Service if you misuse the service or act in a way which contravenes laws, regulations or our Terms of Service;
- tracking and analysing your use of our service to prepare reports on its performance;
- performing research and trend analysis to optimise your experience of the service;
- developing and enhancing our data models to improve the accuracy of the service and your insights;
- engaging our users by:
- gathering your feedback on the service;
- reporting at an aggregate level on the user experience and service performance;
- engaging and communicating with our users on social media and via SMS/email; and
- providing you with detailed information on your account activity.
- using your personal information in an anonymised and aggregated form to create content to include in:
- infographics, industry reports and media campaigns;
- blog posts and videos on the Bowtie Master;
- emails that inform users about the success and performance of the service; and
- posts from social media accounts owned and operated by Salus Technical.
How long do we store your data for?
We only store your data for as long as is necessary for the purposes of processing that are set out in this policy. When you cancel your Bowtie Master account, we will automatically delete your data after one year.
If you are signed up to marketing communications, cancelling your Bowtie Master account will not automatically cancel your marketing preferences. If you would like to unsubscribe, please email firstname.lastname@example.org, otherwise we will delete your email address from our system after two years of inactivity.
To ensure the integrity of our systems and your data, we utilise various technologies to continually take secure, encrypted backups. All data, including deleted data, remains archived within these backups, which are maintained according to our defined two-year data retention policy, after which they are deleted.
You can export your account data at any time
You can export a copy of your data whenever you like – this will include some elements of your personal data and that of your clients, contacts and suppliers, your financial transactions, invoices, and expenses. We recommend that you use the export functionality to keep a backup of your Bowtie data. While we regularly back up your data can’t restore backups on an individual basis. You can also ask us for a copy of your personal data that we hold.
You can delete your data at any time
You can request for your data to be deleted at any time. Deleting your data removes it from our active servers immediately; however, we retain archived database backups for two years, after which they are permanently deleted.
We highly recommend that you export your data before cancelling. Salus Technical is under no obligation to retain data on your behalf if you are no longer subscribed to Bowtie Master.
If your free trial expires or your account is suspended due to non-payment, your account will be automatically deleted after two years of inactivity. We retain historical details about your payments to Salus Technical for accounting purposes because we are required by law to do so.
What are your rights?
- Access to your personal data: You can ask us to confirm if we are processing your personal data and you may request a copy of your personal data by contacting our team at email@example.com.
- Right to change or withdraw your consent: Where you have given us consent to make use of your personal data for any of the purposes outlined in this policy, you may withdraw that consent by contacting us using the details located at the end of this policy. If you wish to change your contact preferences or you no longer wish to be contacted for marketing purposes, get in touch by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Right to rectification: If you need to update out-of-date or inaccurate information we hold about you, please log on to your Bowtie Master account and update your information or get in touch by contacting email@example.com.
- Right to erasure: You are free to have your data deleted at any point by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Right to data portability: You are free to have your data exported at any point by contacting email@example.com.
- Right to object: In certain circumstances you may object to our processing of your personal data. If this is the case, please get in touch by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Right to restrict processing: You can ask us to restrict the processing of personal data we hold about you in certain circumstances. If you wish to do so, please get in touch by contacting email@example.com.
- Make a complaint: You may make a complaint about our data processing activities to a supervisory authority. In the UK this is the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO). Further details can be found on their website.
Cookies are small data files that are placed on your computer or mobile device when you visit a website. Cookies are widely used by website owners in order to make their websites work, or to work more efficiently, as well as to provide reporting information.
Cookies set by the website owner (in this case, Salus Technical) are called “first party cookies”. Cookies set by parties other than the website owner are called “third party cookies”. Third party cookies enable third party features or functionality to be provided on or through the website (e.g. like advertising, interactive content and analytics). The parties that set these third party cookies can recognize your computer both when it visits the website in question and also when it visits certain other websites. If you want to manage or disable cookies for the Salus Technical website or any other site, you can do so by changing your browser settings. Please bear in mind that disabling functional cookies may impair the availability and/or functionality of Bowtie Master. We suggest consulting the “Help” section of your browser.
We use first- and third-party cookies for several reasons. Some cookies are required for technical reasons in order for our Websites to operate, and we refer to these as “essential” or “strictly necessary” cookies. Other cookies also enable us to track and target the interests of our users to enhance the experience on our Online Properties. Third parties serve cookies through our Websites for advertising, analytics and other purposes.
Security and data storage
We take security and privacy seriously. We will endeavour to take all reasonable steps to keep your personal and financial data secure once it has been transferred to our systems. We adopt appropriate, industry-standard data collection, storage and processing practices and security measures to protect against unauthorised access, alteration, disclosure or destruction.
Where we utilise third parties to help provide our services, we will always ensure that, as a minimum, the security policies and confidentiality arrangements of those third parties adhere to the same requirements that we impose and expect.
Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password that enables you to access Bowtie Master, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share your password with anyone.
Please note that the internet is not a secure medium and although we will do our best to protect your data, we cannot guarantee the security of any data transmitted to Salus Technical. Any such transmission is at your own risk.
Getting in touch
Salus Technical Privacy Officer
Blue Sky Business Centre
Please note that phone calls to Salus Technical may be recorded for monitoring, training and security purposes.